Friday, November 30, 2007

Sing-Song Phenomenon

So...I don't know if anyone else has ever experienced this phenomenon, but the truth is, I experience it quite regularly. I'll explain in a minute, but first a little background info.

For some crazy reason, I like to sing. Now anyone who knows me even a little bit, knows that me singing doesn't always (possibly ever) create an enjoyable sound for those around. As I know this, I usually restrict my nonharmonious vocal chords to the privacy of my own home, car, or church where all sounds are joyful to the Lord (my grandma told me so).

That said, I have to give a thankful shout out to my beautiful, pregnant wife who doesn't necessarily encourage my making of tunes, but does tolerate it rather well (She doesn't even flinch anymore).

Anyway, on with the phenomenon... Many times I will be driving in my car when a song on the radio or a CD is played that I know pretty well. So, natually I begin to sing along and within a minute or so, my song volume can raise quite high (not obnoxiously high because that wouldn't sound good.) When this happens, usually around the chorus because I know the words better, I tend to feel rather proud and begin to listen to myself. Man... sometimes I sound pretty good. And when I sound good, I obviously want to hear myself a little better and not that inferior sound coming out of the car speakers. So...I wait for the right moment when the chorus starts up again, make sure my voice volume is at the right level, turn the radio off, and keep singing...........

I don't know what happens. The beautiful sound my voice was making just seconds before disappears the moment the radio is off. All I hear is some obnoxious post-pubescent male voice shouting at the top of his lungs about "how to save a life" or choosing to "be a blessing for life" or some starving musician playin his drum "pa rum pum pum pum."

Now you might be tempted to say that this is rather sad that a 24 year old man who "can't carry a tune in a bucket" (What the heck does that mean anyway? Should we start telling all the colorblind people of the world they can't smell the color nine? Seriously) wishes to sing like a canary. But I don't need your pity. I'm actually thankful for my shy vochal chords. They keep me humble unlike the rest of you who walk into the room like you're walking onto a yacht.

But seriously, you do look a little funny carrying that bucket.

(What kind of bucket is it anyway? I always pictured a 5-gallon bucket. What do you think?)

Pressing On

No comments: